Wednesday, 15 February 2017

Natural's Vernacular

Natural’s vernacular

I had such an overwhelming and positive response to my first post about manifestations, so I thought I would write about manifesting again.  Thank to you everyone who responded.  It was very touching to be contacted by old friends, new friends and friends that I had not heard from in years.

The story line to this manifestation that’s on the cusp of materializing is two fold. Firstly, it’s about just that, manifesting.  Secondly, it’s about framing your intentions at the start of your yoga practice in a way that will yield better results.  I’ll start with the latter as going out of order is always more interesting. 

Intention for practice

At the start of each practice, I used to set very specific intentions.  Come on man, I have yearly mantras, weekly goals, daily dreams and by the minute schemes.  Last year, I spent the majority of my practice in dedication to a person.  This person only knows how to take from me.  They cannot give me anything.  I spent the entire year thanking the universe for the lessons they have, were and would teach me. 

Hard lessons.  Big lessons. Valuable lessons… that I learnt all too slowly at my own expense.

I’ve become close with a fabulous yogi at the studio.  A very inspiring person and holy schnickes, he is the David Attenborough of yoga instruction. I’m really encouraging him to take his classes to an online forum.  His yogic vernacular, rhythm, intonation, articulation and eloquence is a god damn given gift.

Over beers or coffee (or the like) one day, the topic of setting yoga intentions for practice came up.  My idiomatic, veracious yogi said he always set a very general intention, such as following his life path or having good energy for the week.  My immediate emotional reaction was surprise.  At that point in time, I had only ever considered myself.  I never contemplated what intentions others might set for their practice.  So much surprise.

My second reaction was confusion.  One of my god damn given gifts is precision and accuracy.  Being able to create exact replicas of what I’m required to replicate goes to the core of my moral code and self esteem. As an example, during the final inspection of every single home I’ve rented, the agent’s eyes always become wide and every single damn time they say, I’ve never seen this home in a cleaner state.  

The double edge sword of this gift is getting lost in finding that circumscribed, inherent detail.  I cannot even tell you how many legal research rabbit holes I travelled down this last week alone (whether ineffective service will invalidate the contents of a notice if the recipient acknowledge receipt and acted on the notice as if it was valid, the equitable doctrine of estoppel, breach of a condition of an access easement vs trespass (its not trespass), evidentiary burden to establish breach of a contractual condition or conditions that would give rise to a right to terminate, whether purported termination amounts to repudiation, fiduciary obligations of frankness and whether a breach of those fiduciary obligations amounts to invalid termination or repudiation and so many more).

My third reaction was a memory from my undergraduate degree in psychology.  I am not going to find the particular study for you (because honey badger ain’t got time for that).  If you have access to peer reviewed journals and any research skills I’m sure you can locate the study.  The results of the study were that people who set 5 year, 10 year and lifelong goals that were general had more success as oppose to people who set specific 5 year, 10 year and lifelong goals.  I’d always lived my life by this study (for example setting yearly mantras), but somehow it escaped me when I set intentions for my yoga practice these last two years.

It follows that after the wake up call from my yogi, I corrected the NNE errors of my ways to N immediately.  A week later brought us to this evening.  I laid on the mat and set my intentions for practice.  My intentions were twofold, but multi-tiered and multifaceted (my autistic mind cannot give up the precise detail).  One, that I would know and follow my life’s course, two that I would be able to help everyone in my capacity.  That intention split into two tiers, firstly that I would not exceed my personal capacity to give in each circumstance and secondly that I would meet my capacity to give to as many people as possible.  The third tier that applied to both my intentions was that at the end of practice I would have a clear mental image and knowing of what course of action I should take and who I should help and I would be able to act on those spiritual impressions.

So to conclude my chronicles of setting intentions for practice we will move on to my first topic of manifestations.

Manifesting

You understand a bit about my manifestations from my first writing, I will not detail them here. Yoga has been an easy journey for me.  My parents always said I was their easiest child out of the five of us. It can seem like my world is crashing down around me and I float through.  Always. My life is the red wine reduction of luck. 

These last two years have been seemingly and insurmountably challenging.  Life keeps throwing curve balls and all I can do is smash them out of the park (or at least across the foul line).  I know those close to me are treading carefully and don't know how to react when my demeanor is calm and unaffected.  I do it through yoga.  I live through yoga.  Its me, my body, my mind and exercising the right level of control, out of control, connection and disconnect.  Your support is amazing and needed and I love all of you.

Because yoga has been such a strong life foundation for me, once I finally chose a yoga studio, I easily connected with the people there.  My yoga teacher took me to a yoga retreat (she called it a workshop, but seriously, I was given fresh squeezed orange juice every morning and solace… it was a retreat). 

The entire time she kept saying, Natalie – when are going to do yoga teacher training.  I kept saying, it’s always been on my list, but right now I’m writing a textbook, I’m waking (the hipster version of grieving) and I work my little tush off lawyering.  I’ll do my teacher training when the time is right.

Although my desire to complete my yoga teacher training has always been on my mind, I’ve never written it in my bi-weekly manifestations.  At brunch last week with my idiomatic, veracious yogi he asked me again, Natalie when are you going to do your yoga teacher training.  I looked him square in the eye and said – I’m manifesting it this year buddy.

Satisfying the terminus

In my practice this evening, I set general intentions mentioned above.  My yoga teacher was away on holiday, so there was a substitute.  I was glad because I’m clingy with my yoga teacher and I kept thinking (weeks leading up to her leave) its good for you Natalie to have other teachers and learn from them.

I liked this teacher right away. She was small and physically pretty (for those of you who don't know me I have an obsession with collecting beautiful women and its always a bonus if they have unique names). Technically (which is what matters) she was brilliant.  No molly coddling. No vinyasa flow. No apologizing.  Power yoga all the way. 

At one point of my mental and subsequently physical weakness she said, come on people, this is power yoga.  I knew the comment was directed at my caving and quivering hip and knee.

Later throughout the class she complimented the opening of my thoracic spine and then the control of my headstand splits (I don't know the layman or Sanskrit terms for those and I’m not even going to try because I clearly have not completed yoga teacher training).

I was honoured by those compliments.  Again, compliments of precision, detail and replication go to my moral code and self esteem.  If I was a true yogini, I would have no ego and not have taken those compliments so seriously.

Usually, when classes end I’m sweaty, I’m hot. And I usually have somewhere to be (this studio is collectively the most hardcore teachers.  For example, in a heat wave of 35 degrees they will turn on the heaters and make you sweat sweat sweat).

I also switch rapidly from introvert to extrovert.  I’ve left several classes without speaking to my own yoga teacher and she will instantly message me and ask why I didn't hug her or say goodbye.  I literally live and breath for this woman, but when she’s busy with her other students and I’m tired and emotional, I cannot deal.

At the end of this class, I patiently waited to speak to this new teacher.  There was a student speaking with her, which I would have never had time for in he past.  If my teacher is busy with students after class, I text her and meet her later.  When it was my turn to speak with her, I said: Hello I’m Natalie, I really loved your class.  She didn't formally shake my hand as expected, but put her left hand in mine.

She thanked me and I queried, when her usual classes were as I’d never seen her before.  She said she did not have usual classes at the studio, she was only filling in for my teacher.  She further explained that she had a studio elsewhere where she did retreats and yoga teacher training.

She paused and then said, have you considered yoga teacher training. (I know what those with business acumen are thinking.  However, I was lucky enough to have discerning acumen in this instance).

In that moment, I was honoured (again not a true yogini).  I knew that not only a manifestation that I had not yet formalized, but an intention that I had set with the right guidance came into fruition.

I do not know if I will undertake my training with her loving soul, but I know this was my clear sign of knowing,  When my textbook is finished, yoga teacher training will be the next leg of my journey.  

This experience was a lovely and hope inspiring lesson in collaborating practice intentions with manifestations.  The natural vernacular.

Keep manifesting my little fish, lone wolves, spicy burritos, dippy cats and eccentrics.  All our dreams will come true.  We are good people.

Love Natural

No comments:

Post a Comment